Friday 18 October 2013

Reflection..............

As I write this post, I am reflecting on the discussion held, the wikis and the blogs that were created by colleagues and I.


I must admit that I am familiar with several of the technologies presented to us in this course.  I am however very appreciative to be given the opportunity to have a second chance at Podcast.  My first attempt with it was disastrous and I was hesitant to use it again. After accepting it as a challenge, it continued to frustrate me.  I persevered and was very successful.  I did another podcast just recently. I smiled at  ease of creating it. This brings me to the point about resilience to technology in the classroom by many of my teaching colleagues.  Toby Houtz in one of his post wrote “….veteran teachers are stubborn…” and I could not agree with him more. 

After an analytical review of the situation, it is obvious that teachers lack the confidence and do not wish to be deemed, as failure and this prefer not to use the technology. It is my hope that I would be given the opportunity to help build the teachers’ confidence in the use of technology in the classroom. I would recommend that training type of training, length and frequency of the training be examined carefully based on the ICT proficiency of the teachers. Emphasis should  be place not only on skills training but on pedagogical training as certain strategies and techniques must be learnt in order to manage and monitor students’ learning in an ICT classroom.  Appropriate training will be an underpinning of the confidence teachers would display in the classroom. As teachers elude the fear of technology through proper training, students’ success will increase.

Another of my colleagues, Suzanne Nemetz  found the “role of the facilitator to be hard”.  This is true for several teachers but with practice, it would come with ease. I have grown to understand, that I am not only one with the  knowledge and I must facilitate the several suggestions made by students.  I must take into consideration my students’ interest, learning styles and abilities.

As a teacher, I  must possess  certain characteristics in order for facilitation to go smoothly. The ability to formulate task based on the time, ICT tool, students’ level of concentration and assessment are skills that I  must have if success in my learning environment is to be achieved. My role is to motivate students, enhance their interaction, verbalization and classroom involvement through collaborative learning. “Using technology to promote such collaborative activities can enhance the degree to which classrooms are socially active and productive and can encourage classroom conversations that expand students’ understanding of the subject” (Roschelle, J., Pea, R., Hoadley, C., Gordin, D., Means, B. ,2001).

With ten years of teaching gone, I do hope that I would evolve with the technology. I will like to develop a series of ICT lessons plans for a variety of subject areas that would be adaptability by teachers anywhere i n the world.  In addition, I will continue  to enhance the use of technology in my class to promote and assist learning where students will think critically, analyze, evaluate and make decisions.

The rapid advances technology are reshaping the society and the world and more so the  schools in country of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.  The students of today have a wide range of new technologies open and available to them. This information changes the relationship between people and knowledge and the distance they can go.  By integrating technology in education students and parents will see positive improvements in many different areas. We as teachers would make ourselves more marketable as we gain all the necessary skills and knowledge of ICT integration and its role on producing active citizens to function effectively in this globalized world.

Roschelle, J., Pea, R., Hoadley, C., Gordin, D., Means, B. (2001). Changing How and What
Children Learn in School with Computer-Based Technologies. The Future of Children, 10(2).
Los Altos, CA: Packard Foundation. 76-101.”
http://ctl.sri.com/publications/downloads/PackardChangingLearning.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment