Wednesday 21 May 2014

Tech Tools to use in my GAME plan

YES! I have my game plan drafted but how exactly am I going to do it? What tools am I going to use to engage all my students? How would I know which ones are appropriate? As I participate actively in PLCs, I would learn about different tools used by teachers. It is my job to evaluate and assess each tool for its appropriateness as I engage my students. I would use a rubric or checklist personalizes to the needs of my students of objectives of given lessons in the selection of websites. Interactive websites such as readwritethink.org and time-for-time would help the students to become proficient with certain skills.

 

Keeping online journals such as a blog is an excellent way of recording the process of the GAME plan. I could choose to add and remove different readers if so desired. Exposing my steps through out this plan can further help me to develop myself and more create inquiring minds. Cennamo, K., Ross,J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach.(Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from: http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

4 comments:

  1. Semonique-- I just hit publish on a post I wrote but it is showing No comments even after I refresh... So here it goes again:)
    Thanks for sharing your game process. There are tons and tons of interacting online tools at educators fingertips today that we can use to help our students get engaged and improve different skills. I love the readthinkwrite website. It gives several different templates to use with students. For example, Acrostic poem generator and the writing the letter generator are good tools to help students get engaged and also guide them. Thanks for sharing time for time. I never heard of that website, but I think this would be a great tool for our younger students. I am going to add this to my list of May Do activities for the early finishers so they can practice. I also like that it provides worksheets to help students with this skill. Funbrain is another educational website. I am not sure if you have used it, but it provides several educational games for students that can reinforce skills on different subjects, such as reading, science, social studies, math and other games. I also use an online stop watch http://www.online-stopwatch.com/ which can help teachers with time management. When students are working on a task and I only want to give them ten minutes, I set the online stop watch and display it on my interactive white board so they can see it counting down and keep them on track as well. Finally, I think using blogs to keep track of your GAME plan process is an excellent idea because different readers are exposed to your process. They will get ideas but also can share input on your process and give you feedback on ideas or new websites for you to think about trying. I think you ended your post perfectly. The plan process helps not only ourselves but other inquiring minds as well! Good luck on your GAME process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie
    We have many tools to use. Our only task is to evaluate to find the most appropriate one to fit the need for each of our students. Thank you for sharing and commenting. I have used Funbrain before and interaction was great. I smiled when you mentioned the used of the stopwatch. My KIDS love when I set the stopwatch. They like racing against the time. I often use it to time activities and as a secret way of motivating the slower working students. I have seen success with this unorthodox method of mine. Have you ever thought of its use for such?
    Semonique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Semonique:
    Thanks for sharing those amazing tools. It is very interesting how some help differently.
    I have used the stop watch when I test the students in reading, but I found out that it also makes them nervous. I like the blog use in keeping track of the different stages of the Game Plan. You are in control of the technology use and you know what are the best tools to use.
    Thanks for sharing, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Semonique,

    Thanks for sharing your what technology you would use in your GAME plan. I too hosted a blog this year for a group of enthusiastic 8th graders.
    http://thehawktalk.edublogs.org/
    But I like your idea of rotating your students throughout the blog to highlight their work for the week. You could also have your students read through a few of the blogs that you've selected and have them vote on which ones should be posted. To take the assignment a step further, you could have them to log in and leave comments (like we are asked to do). I think your students would gain an appreciation for writing if they received positive reinforcement from their peers.

    ReplyDelete